Creating Health, Not Managing Disease
Dr. E's Highway to Health Show Episode 7
watch this episode
Subscribe to highway to health
- Take responsibility – don’t walk into doctor’s office saying “I’m really scared because my mom, or grandma, aunt, or other family member…has history of breast cancer or other disease, and I’m going to get it too.” Instead, discuss with physician that you have a strong history of that disease. Partner with doctor, ask to be educated in how you can prevent or minimize the likelihood of getting that disease. You can take ownership and help create your health.
- How you do one thing in life is how you do everything in life. Remember self-care. If you don’t take care of the external you, you probably aren’t taking care of the internal you.
- If you feel there is power in a pill, think of the power in your food. Focus on plant based nutrition. The source of energy on earth is the sun. The only organism on earth that can capture the energy of the sun are plants through photosynthesis.
Bonus: Dr. Chellam’s nutritional recommendations for health and longevity:
- She does not advocate one specific eating plan, but she focuses on individual hard wiring, environmental-metabolic profile, and personal desires so it can be sustainable.
- She does believe that our micro biome needs high fiber – plant based -whole food diet.
- She doesn’t feel we need meat 3x a day. Protein is a macronutrient we cannot store.
- She suggests we eliminate processed foods.
Questions About This Episode:
- Dr. Chellam shares what caused her to transition from internal medicine to functional medicine where she treats patients as a whole.
- Rather than treating the symptoms, she partners with patients using a science based approach to understand not only the disease but the person experiencing the disease.
- We need to stop normalizing inadequate health and focus on creation of health and wellness rather than management of disease.
- Take ownership of your health. Seek out a physician who will educate you and partner with you.
- Functional medicine focuses on getting the body to function normally again.
- What does your body need in order to heal?
- What does your body need to remove in order to heal?
- You need to create in your body the right environment for healing to occur.
- Dr. Chellam’s goal is to get her patients to optimal health & well-being no matter where they are. Engage them in their own health.
Our Guest for this Episode:
Dr. Nisha Chellam is a board-certified internist who practices functional medicine. She's the founder and main provider at the Holistic and Integrative Center of Novi (Holistic ICON) where she teaches, empowers and guides clients to a state of wellness and lasting vitality.